Two students finalists for Prudential Spirit of Community Awards

Krystal Aleuy, Reporter

Ann Marie Hrdy and Haley Nitz, seniors, were both finalists for the 2017 Prudential Spirit of Community Awards in Kansas.

This is a nationwide program to honor young people for outstanding acts of volunteerism. Hrdy partnered with high school and middle school teachers and asked them to incorporate a pillow case dress pattern into their lesson plan for the year.

“Each student who went through their classes viewed a video I created explaining the purpose and importance of the project, connecting it to body image, before each sewed a dress to send to Africa,” Hrdy said. At the end of her project, she gave a guide book she had created to each teacher explaining how to continue the project in future years. So far over 300 dresses have been sent.

Nitz’s project was she held a workshop for families in Olathe to make toys out of upcycled materials for an orphanage in Africa, and on winter break, she actually went to the orphanage in Africa.

Both girls used their Girl Scout Gold Award projects on their Prudential applications. They did not receive any money, but were recognized as bronze medalists.

The girls’ local Girl Scout chapter recognized them at their annual awards luncheon April 1. A Prudential representative gave them their bronze medals at that time.

The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards is in its 22nd year. It is conducted by Prudential Financial and the National Association of Secondary School Principals.

State honorees receive $1,000, a silver medal and a trip to Washington, D.C., for a national recognition event.