Seven students qualify for state at regional journalism contest

Newspaper staff members who competed in the KSPA regional contest on site were (left to right) Emma Collins, Jillian Walker, Max Stoneking,seniors; Lauri Hoedl, Evan Kauffman, juniors; Maddie Kindig, sophomore; Sarah Bueller, Megan Pham, juniors; Jamie Pellikaan, senior; Delaney Garrets and Aysiah Loving, juniors.

Seven members of the newspaper, photojournalism and yearbook staffs qualified for state in nine categories after competing in the Kansas Scholastic Press Association’s 6A/5A regional journalism contest Friday, Feb. 24, on the University of Kansas campus in Lawrence.

Max Stoneking, senior, placed first in both sports and headline writing; Bree Reynoso, senior, placed first in yearbook copywriting; Megan Pham, junior, received second in editorial cartoon; Brandon Keeling, senior, received second in photo illustration, and Kristen Tompkins, senior, placed third in student life photography.

Also qualifying for state with honorable mentions were Emma Collins, senior, in both editorial cartoon and news page design and Delaney Garrelts, junior, in both infographics and news writing.

The students who went to Lawrence competed in timed sessions in categories such as copy editing, editorial cartoon, and news, sports, feature and editorial writing.

Other newspaper, photojournalism and yearbook students’ work was entered earlier in page design, headline writing, infographics, photo illustration and sports, academic and student life photography, advertising, yearbook layout and yearbook theme and graphics.

Students in those categories prepared their entries prior to Feb. 24, and their work was submitted online.

The entries are judged by journalism/photojournalism professionals.  The state competition will be held at the University of Kansas on May 6 for the on-site contests; digital submission contests will be due May 1.