Teachers get grants for improvement

Ann Marie Hrdy

Mr. Wheeler works with his students in his woodshop class to create beautiful projects. Heis getting new equipment soon from a grant he applied for.

Megan Pham, Reporter

Four teachers received grants from the Olathe Public Schools Foundation.

The teachers were Deborah Abernathy, math teacher; Greg Wheeler, industrial tech teacher; Trish Long and Jennifer Dixon-Perkins, art teachers.

Abernathy received two grants for a total of $5,000 and used it on TI-Nspire calculators. These calculators come with a yellow top that communicates wirelessly with the teacher’s computer, enabling everyone’s calculator screen to be shown on the projector screen so they can fix their mistakes.

“My previous students loved the technology, and I hope the students at Olathe South will love it as well,” Abernathy said.

With this technology, she will be able to group her students into specific tasks and all of the tasks are related for that day. It also helps students get the right answer and follow along if they’re struggling.

Wheeler used his grant of $700 to buy materials and supplies for benches to make for Northview Elementary. The elementary school is planning to have a reading bus with permanent benches so kids can sit and read.

The grant money is split between him and Taylor Schwartz, FACS teacher. Schwartz is to make the cushions that will be used along with the benches.

“This [project] will give students the level to do the technology and the ability to read blue prints from these drawings and demonstrations,” Wheeler said.

Long applied for a grant of $386 and bought a die cutter to replace broken one. The die cutter cuts little round disks for students to make jewelry out of.

“I want to be able to bring Olathe South sculpture and jewelry to par to other schools,” Long said.  “Olathe South is old, and the technology of our art department is behind.”

Long is planning to apply for more grants in the future.

Dixon-Perkins applied for a grant of $469 and bought a printer and two LED lights. The equipment arrived in late January, and she is excited for the potential of what her students can do with the equipment.

“It came at a good time when competitions are around the corner,” Dixon-Perkins said.

The equipment will allow her students to photograph their artwork for scholarships, competitions and portfolios.