Students enjoy 31st’s remodel

David Moreira

A variety of students, like Cameron Clark, senior, go to 31st Century every Friday for Magic: The Gathering tournaments.

Christian Cortes, Entertainment Editor

31st Century, one of the few stores in Kansas that specializes in tabletop games, recently changed owners earlier this year, and the whole place has been remodeled to accommodate anyone who enjoys role-playing games.

The store sells a variety of tabletop games and tabletop-related merchandise like cardboard games, card games, guides, books, figurines, etc. while also allowing players to come to play with their friends. The store also has miniature castles and terrain pieces, which players can use for strategy-based role-playing games such as Warhammer.

“A lot of people see it as a family, where they have their own social circle,” Cameron Clark, senior, said.

Clark used to work at 31st Century and still visits the place from time to time.

“The new owner used to be a regular player, and one day he just decided to buy the place,” Clark said.

The store has also become more customer friendly.

“Before, the place was cluttered with barely any walk room,” Brandon Oldberg, senior, said. “Now, after the remodeling, they made the door bigger, moved the counter to allow more open space, and they also got a new carpet.”

Not only has 31st Century remodeled its store, but it has also been modernized.

“They have cleaned up their web presence, started hosting more events,” Clark said.

31st Century is certified to host Magic: the Gathering tournaments, and players can even win money through these tournaments.

“The tournaments are bracket based, and [you] move up seats as you win more games,” Oldberg said. “I moved up six seats the first day I went to 31st Century.”

Oldberg goes to 31st Century almost every Friday.

The store also has other types of tournaments and different events throughout the week: Magic: the Gathering tournaments on Friday and Sundays, Board Game Night on Wednesdays, and Warhammer tournaments every first Saturday of the month.

On Board Game Night, players can bring any tabletop game they want and share them with other people.

Throughout the day, there are Intro to Board Games sessions, where game explainers are available to set up and teach newcomers how to play a variety of games.

Intro to Board Games sessions begin at 11 a.m., 2, 5 p.m.

The store is located on the corner of 151st and Mur-Len, and is open on Sundays from noon to 8 p.m. and every other day of the week from noon to midnight.