Activity Fair Helps Students Learn More About Clubs

Abby Whitener

Thw Writing Club setting up their stand at the Activity Fair. 9/1/16 Cooper Dammrich, Kelly Sullivan, and Khadija C.

Christian Cortes, Entertainment Editor

Club members got the chance to reach out to students at the activity fair on Sept. 1 in the South Gym.

The activity fair was brought back last year, and this year the event was organized in a different way.

“Last year, the students were divided by class,” Candy Birch, activities director, said. “This year freshmen were divided into two groups, and the fair was open for upperclassmen for the last 30 minutes.”

The fair gave club members the opportunity to talk directly to students.

“When you’re in a big school, sometimes it’s hard to connect to students through signs. The fair gave students the opportunity to talk to people already in the clubs and to know what being in the club is like,” Birch said.

Ben Smith, senior, believes the fair was a great way of showing what the robotics team was all about.

“The pep assembly did that, but the activity fair was more interactive,” Smith said.

Other students saw the activity fair as an easy and convienient way of finding out more about the available clubs.

“The fair gave me a chance to get to know people in the clubs and finding out what they liked about them,” Logan Hards, senior, said.

Staff believe that giving students the opportunity to be more involved in school will benefit them greatly.

“What we know is that students who are connected have better grades, have good time management, have a more impressive resume and have more friends,” Birch said. “There are so many good reasons to have an activity fair.”

The activity fair was a group effort, with school staff and the Falcon Mentor Club helping out with signs and papers.

Birch feels the fair was a success, and that students got to know more about the available clubs.

“Club members who  had booths were very happy to see kids show interest. There was a big number of students who signed up for more information about their clubs,” Birch said.