News briefs May 2016

Music festivals

Band, choir, and orchestra groups performed in the state contest on Wednesday, April 13, with musical pieces they began preparing after winter break.

Both the Concert and Advanced Chamber orchestras scored straight I’s, giving them an outstanding I rating. All three choirs scored well also. Chorale received two outstanding I ratings and one excellent II rating while Southside choir received straight I’s. The band groups received outstanding ratings as well.

Choir, band and orchestra students traveled to the state solo and ensemble festival in Topeka on Saturday, April 23. Choir had five ensembles and 10 soloists, band had five ensembles and 10 soloists and orchestra had five solos.

The ensembles and solos have been preparing for regional and state contest since the beginning of third quarter.

The ensembles and solos for choir, band and orchestra all received outstanding I ratings or excellent II ratings. Students had to first qualify for state by getting a I at regionals, which took place on April 9.

Forensics

Katie Dorrell, senior, who has been involved with debate and forensics since her freshman year, was awarded Student of the Year in the East Kansas district of the National Speech and Debate Association (NSDA).

She’s the first student from the school to be nominated. Finalists from all the districts will be interviewed at nationals to determine the national NSDA Student of the Year.

Additionally, Dorrell has  qualified to compete at this year’s NSDA national competition, which will be in Salt Lake City, Utah.  Although she qualified in three events, she can only compete in one event. She will compete in Model Congress.

The other events in which she qualified are domestic extemporaneous speech and Lincoln-Douglas debate.