Students compete at Optimist Oratory Contest

Staff, Reporter

Andrea Vandenbark, freshman, and Caleb Hundelt, junior, participated in their zone is Optimist Oratory Contest Saturday, April 3. They both qualified to advance to the district competition which was held on Saturday, April 16, in Manhattan Kansas.

They were given a topic few months ahead and were expected to write a speech over this. Everyone was given the same topic. This year’s topic was “how does your best bring out the best out of others.” At the competition, they gave a speech to the first group of judges and then they moved on to other groups.

They were given four-five minutes to give the speech to a panel of judges in front of other contestants and parents of those contestants.

Hundelt had lots of fun at the competition even though “it was challenging initially” for him, but “it has helped him improve his speaking skills” he believes.

Hundelt and Vandenbark were both encouraged by their teacher Helen Hardgree, QUEST facilitator, to participate in the contest, and they both went to state.

At state, Hundelt had a good experience because he was “exposed to public speaking.” He was impressed by some of the students because of their experience in debate.

Vandenbark found the competition “nerve racking”; however, she thought it was “interesting to hear about everyone’s opinion on optimism.”

Vandenbark thought “[state] ran very smoothly,” and she also was impressed by the other speakers, saying “man, they are good.” Neither student placed at state.

Nationals are on June 24-25 in St. Louis, Mo. The first place winner receives $15,000, second place winner receives $10,000, and third place winner receive $5,000.