Students inducted into National Honor Society

Mitchell Liermann, Reporter

The school’s chapter of the National Honor Society (NHS) held its annual induction ceremony April 12.

This year, NHS inducted 111 members: 11 seniors, the rest juniors. According to Taylor Schwartz, NHS sponsor, NHS is “definitely growing larger” since last year.

In order to be inducted, a student must be at least a junior and demonstrate that they follow the “four pillars” of NHS: scholarship, leadership, service, and integrity.

What this means is that students must have a GPA of 3.6 or greater and have volunteered at least 20 hours of their time; 10 of these hours must be in school—helping the school district in some way—and 10 must be out of school—helping the community. Students must also have a good disciplinary record at the school.

During the ceremony, students first heard speeches from Candy Birch, assistant principal, and guest speaker Nicholas Bastion, social science teacher.

Afterward, students took the NHS induction pledge: that they would be upstanding members of the NHS and that they would continue to maintain the standards set by NHS.

According to Schwartz, the main benefits of being in NHS are the networking possibilities with other NHS members and the prestige that comes with being a member.

Also this year, students who were previously inducted into NHS had to renew their membership. Their requirements were the same as new inductees, maintaining a certain GPA and 20 service hours.