Brains wanted-

Scholars’ Bowl team looking for new members

Megan Pham, Reporter

Scholars’ Bowl is having a meeting after Spring Break for those who love to challenge their knowledge.

Helen Hardgree, sponsor of Scholars’ Bowl, is looking for new members who have an interest in joining next year. Those who are interested in signing up can talk to Hardgree in room 906.

Scholars’ Bowl is a competition in which students compete by answering questions in seven categories: world language, social studies, language arts, mathematics, science/health, fine arts and year in review.

The state competition for Scholars’ Bowl occurs in March.

In competitions, teams play about seven or eight rounds. Each question answered correctly is 10 points and a wrong answer is minus 5.

Students who are well read and like solving problems and challenging their knowledge, might find Scholars’ Bowl a good option to take.

“It’s a way to interact with other people who love competing in an activity,” Hardgree said. “It’s fun and for team kids who love to work with each other in a fast-paced activity.”

Scholars’ Bowl practices every Thursday for an hour in room 906, where they have practice rounds and use buzzers. Students will have to answer two to three questions in each category.

Drake Minter, who’s in Scholars’ Bowl and went to regionals found Scholars’ Bowl fun, especially when he has his group of friends to compete with.

“Just come to practice to see if you like it. You don’t have to be the smartest to join,” Minter said.

Minter joined because his friends were in Scholars’ Bowl and he thought he’d do well if he joined.

His strongest subject are math and science, and outside of practice Minter looks up random facts.

Only the top three teams get to go to state, and Minter’s team placed fifth, but despite that Minter felt good about competing.