SASH shines light on End It Movement

Rachel Pierson, Reporter

The Students Achieving Social Harmony (SASH) club held a fundraiser Feb. 22-26 to support The End It Movement and to shine a light on human trafficking not only in the United States, but also around the world.

SASH raised money for The End It Movement by collecting donations during lunch throughout the week.

The End It Movement is an organization that aims to raise awareness about slavery and to raise funds for victim restoration , prevention, and rescue of victims.

The idea to raise funds for The End It Movement was brought up by Maddie Selby, junior, during last year and was acted upon this year.

“We thought this was a great opportunity to do something else other than the blood drive,” Angi Verstraete, SASH club sponsor, said.

According to The End It Movement, 27,000,000 people are trapped in slavery around the world, including in over 160 countries.

Also, more women are subject to slavery, with 55 percent of forced labor victims being women and girls.

“We want students to just be aware that slavery is happening, not just in adults, but also in children,” Verstraete said. Students were informed about the issue through the daily announcements and banners throughout the school. Next year, SASH plans to advertise more through the daily announcements to bring awareness to slavery and human trafficking around the world.

The money raised from this fundraiser will go directly to the End It Movement to help raise awareness and help with victim restoration.