Leaving teachers recall good experiences about South

Christian Cortes, Reporter

Jodie Buster

Jodie Buster, theatre teacher, has been here for three years and will be moving to Indian Trail Middle School next year

“I’ll be taking over the theatre department helping to produce plays and musicals and teaching acting and technical theatre classes,” Buster said.

Buster’s years teaching here have reinforced her decision to become a teacher.

“My experience here has solidified my choice to become a teacher,” Buster said. “I know that I am in the right profession for me.”

Buster also believes this school could not have been a better place to start her career.

“The school district provided so much support for me as a new teacher,” Buster said. “My colleagues and students have been inspiring to work with, and I will cherish the memories for the rest of my life.”

Maryellen Banks

Maryellen Banks, social science teacher, has been a teacher for 36 years, 17 of which have been spent teaching here.

She taught World History her first years here and also started a Cross Cultural Connections Class in 2004.

“We started with only 15 students. It tripled in a couple years,” Banks said. “This year the program was passed on to a new teacher.”

She also ran the Student Volunteer Program her first 14 years here.

“That was and always will be the delight of my career because I was helping young people to make decisions about their future, and most students were interested in becoming teachers,” Banks said. “And, of course, that was extremely important to me.”

These last three years, the AP Psychology class she teaches has tripled.

“My passion is psychology, and I have taught [it] all 17 years I have been here,“ Banks said. “Eventually I worked my way into more and more psychology. I finished out teaching three hours of AP Psychology and two hours of Introduction [to Psychology].”

This year, Banks will be retiring.

“I am not planning anything at this time. I have planned out every day for 36 years, so it is time to not plan,” she said. “It’s been a wonderful journey.”

The thing she will miss the most is teaching psychology.

“I will miss psychology; I have been spoiled rotten. I have the best students. The best of the best of Olathe South have been in my class-AP students that kept me on my toes, researching, planning, and being a life-time learner,” Banks said.

Sandra Camber

Sandra Camber, Spanish teacher, has been a teacher for 36 years, 23 years here.

She has taught all levels of Spanish here and in college.

Camber will miss, most of all, her students.

“I love the kids. They are genuine, fresh, curious, and blatantly honest about their feelings,” Camber said. “It’s a good feeling to think that I have tried to make a difference in the lives of so many human beings. I will miss the kids the most; that is why I chose to dedicate my life to the teaching profession.”

Camber has enjoyed all her years teaching and the influence she has had with the students.

“I also really appreciate all of the wonderful letters, notes, cards, phone calls, and emails from former students thanking me for having made a difference in their lives. That is what is so great about this profession that I love,” she said. “I also had some wonderful colleagues to share ideas and to create some beautiful memories.”

She will be retiring this year.

“My husband and I plan to travel, spend time with our four children and eight grandchildren, and get out and enjoy the outdoors. Basically, we want to do what we want, when we want, and only if we want without any time constraints.”

Camber will continue teaching at home, with her family.

“Teaching, like learning, is an ongoing process, and I intend to continue ‘teaching’ with my grandchildren,” Camber said. “Thank you for the opportunity to have served our Olathe community for the past 23 years.”

Timothy Oberhelman

Timothy Oberhelman has been a teacher for 24 years, 21 of which he has taught here.

He has taught Biology, Astronomy, Student Naturalist, Horticulture and started AP Evironmental Science here.

Next year he will move to teaching at Olathe Northwest.

“I am leaving to do the same job over at Olathe Northwest where I am the head tennis coach for boy and girls,” Oberhelman said.

Oberhelman will miss teaching the students here.

“The students here at South will be what I miss the most. The work ethic and the Falcon pride are so wonderful here,” he said. “I have nothing but fond memories of South. I learned so much about kids and their struggles here. I will forever miss my time here and hope to still connect with faculty.”

Cindy Sheppard

Cindy Sheppard, AP Music Theory and Choir teacher, has been a teacher for 28 years, 14 of which she has spent here.

She will be taking a leave of absence from teaching.

“I will be taking care for my mother who suffers from Alzheimer’s and conducting the Kansas City Women’s Chorus,” Sheppard said.

She will miss the students the most.

“I will miss the people and the fun we have making music together,” she said.

She has had had a great experience here.

“I can’t think of a better place to teach than Olathe South,” she said. “I have loved and learned from students and my teaching colleagues over the past 14 years”