School encourages teens in need

BRAVE+members+demonstrate+the+effects+that+depression+has+on+teens+in+their+skit+I+Choose+to+Live.+Carley+Eschilman%2C+junior%2C+played+a+depressed+teen+who+thinks+about+suicide+frequently.+

Connor Letts

BRAVE members demonstrate the effects that depression has on teens in their skit “I Choose to Live”. Carley Eschilman, junior, played a depressed teen who thinks about suicide frequently.

Kayla Staley, Reporter

Suicide has touched the lives of many in our community. On Thursday, April 30, BRAVE, (Bystanders Rising Against Violence Everywhere), held an assembly titled, “I Choose to Live,”  that was part of the continuing efforts to bring awareness to the topic of suicide.

Keri Snyder, assistant principal, said that the purpose of the assembly was “to provide support, options and resources to students” because it is “a very real thing that many of us deal with.”

Snyder believes that it was “unique” because it was “student led.”

A group of about five or six students wrote the script for the skit and many others edited and performed. Helen Hardgree, BRAVE sponsor, was impressed with the “collaborative effort.”

One of the students involved was Damian Vu, senior.

“When I saw how well it was coming along, I knew I had to be a part of it,” Vu said. “It was a fun, new experience performing in front of the whole school.”

Carol Bravo, junior, also assisted with the skit.

“It gave a new perspective,” Bravo said. “I could relate a lot to what my peers were feeling at the time.”

To many of the participants, the performance exceeded their expectations.

“Most of us weren’t sure what to expect, but from the reactions and feedback received, it definitely went better than expected,” Vu said.

Part of what contributed to the success of the performance was that it was personal for many of the participants.

“Those involved have dealt with it,” Hardgree said. “They addressed an issue that is often swept under the carpet.”

Because of this personal connection, the students did all they could to make it a memorable experience.

“We all put a little bit of ourselves into it,” Bravo said.

Vu believes that their message was effective and that it was worth the time and effort.

“While it may not have had an impact on some people, our goal was to help at least one person, and if we did, then it was all worth it,” Vu said.

Snyder agreed that even if “just one person is impacted,” the assembly served its purpose because “impact is powerful,” and it was able to give many “a sense of hope.”

Snyder even sees the “important message” going “beyond the walls of Olathe South” to help others in the community who may be suffering.