Choirs put on annual Pops Concert

Caleb Nugent, junior, performed a solo with Chorale of “Don’t Stop the Music” by Rihanna.

Lexi Nelson, Reporter

The choirs sang their last songs of the year at the annual Pops Concert on May 7.

The Pops Concert is one of the choral department’s most popular concerts, and a yearly tradition. They’ve been put on for about the past 21 years, and – as opposed to the usual classical selections performed by the choirs – it features different popular songs, whether they be modern or a few years older. It features a live band playing the instruments for all the songs as well, rather than just a piano.

The concert has been known to draw in a crowd of about 500 listeners.

This concert consisted of a wide array of contemporary vocal performances put on not only by the choirs themselves, but also by specific members.

Students enrolled in choir had the opportunity to audition to sing either a solo, or a song with a duet or small group. Dr. Cindy Sheppard, head choir director, said that in these acts, she and Jan Holthus, assistant choir director, were looking for “personality, entertainment value for the audience, artistry and preparation of performance, and variety.” The audience was given just that.

Kaeli Whitener, sophomore, sang “When Love Comes” from the upcoming musical “Death Note,” a live show based off the anime of the same name.

“[The audition process] was stressful… I get really nervous before singing in front of people,” Whitener said. “But once I saw Mrs. Holthus smiling, I felt a lot more comfortable.”

Other selected performances included Maddie Selby, sophomore, singing “Creep” by Radiohead and accompanying herself on the ukulele, Shay Foster, senior, singing a medley of Mumford & Sons, Lakin Allen, senior, and Veronica Wood, junior, singing “For the First Time in Forever” from the movie “Frozen,” and many other acts.

Sheppard said she is very proud of the work that all the choirs did for this concert.