Baseball team gets opportunity to play at Kauffman Stadium

Oakley Reed, senior, up to bat. The varsity baseball team played Olathe East at Kauffman Stadium on 4/24.

Sarah Buehler, Reporter

The baseball team played at Kauffman Stadium on April 24 against Olathe East and lost 2-3.

They originally were supposed to play on April 3; however, the game got rained out. The game started at 1 p.m., and around 150 students were at the game to watch. They did not take a pep bus this year since the game was early in the afternoon.

Caroline Sukstorf, junior, said, “It was cool to see our team play on such a big stage and to see our hometown players on the big screen. I think that the Olathe South vs. Olathe East rivalry added to the competitive atmosphere.”

The players are only allowed to be in the dugouts, bullpen areas and the field. They used to be allowed to hit in their indoor hitting area, but for the last three years they have not been allowed to do that.

To be able to play at Kauffman, the baseball team had to sell a certain number of vouchers for regular season games for the Royals. They also receive a small percentage of each ticket sold that is actually a fundraiser for the team as well.

According to Josh Perkins, head coach, Kauffman has the best natural grass surface that the players will ever play on and the dugouts are first class.

Perkins said, “It is always a great experience to see your players get to fulfill their childhood dreams. Getting to play on the field where you watch your heroes play is a once in a lifetime opportunity.”