Students and teachers connections: related by blood or no?

Emma Collins & Drew Houfek, Reporters

Some people believe that school is a place to get away from parents, but not every student has that option.

Many students have their parent and/or relative working where they are learning.

A lot of these students feared that having a relative close to them while at school would cause some problems, but that has turned out not to be true.

Kennedy Truitt, senior, said, “I thought it’d be kind of embarrassing having my mom here at school with me, but it’s actually pretty chill. I get to see her a lot more than what I thought I would have.”

Truitt’s mom, Bobbi Truitt, is a para. Truitt also enjoys having her mom closer and being able to hang out with her throughout the day.

Another student who feels the same way as Truitt is Kayhill Perkins, senior, who is related to Jennifer Perkins, art department.

“It’s convenient because I get to spend a lot more time with my mom than what I originally thought I would,” Perkins said.

She loves the fact that she can stay close to her mom and have a place where she can get away from stress while at school.

Anna Hastings, freshman, has similar but different thoughts about having both of her parents, Amy Hastings, math teacher and David Hastings, theater teacher, working at south.

“It’s nice to have someone close, but sometimes it’s weird when teachers know who I am, but I don’t know who they are,” Hastings said.

But having a parent at school, according to the students, creates more pressure on them to perform better than any other student.

“There’s definitely more pressure to perform better in school because I feel like if I were to get in trouble it’ll reflect onto my mom and her career,” Perkins stated.

Most  of the students, like Hastings and Coby Hoffman, freshman, feel there’s more pressure due to the fact that any of their teachers can just walk into their parent’s room and talk to them about their grades or how they act in class.

Despite that perceived pressure, most of the students admitted that their parents don’t really keep tabs on each other.

“We don’t really talk to each other, but my dad does have easy access to my grade,” Hoffman said.

Others students have thought that because of having a parent working at the school, they would get special advantages.

“Many people believe that I can get away with more, mostly with homework, or they think I have my awards handed to me,” Perkins said.

Getting handed awards and being able to slack off on homework is the top of what other students around the school think they can get away with.

“A lot of people believe that I will know something, when really I don’t,” Hastings said.

Besides always having a ride to school, most of the students don’t think there are any advantages to having a parent at school.

The students believe that having their parents at school doesn’t effect them in any way.

Even though their parents teach at the same school their child goes to, many of these students will say that it’s nice to have someone close by when they are needed.

They will always have a place to put their coats and other supplies when they need to.